LATEST FEATURE: On Assignment: Ben Lurye

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Strobist's Page-a-Links

This resouce links page will quickly grow, I hope. Coming soon, Strobist's Lighting Gear links. We'll post a note out front whenever new sites are added. All external links will open in new window.



Other Photo/Lighting Sites

dpreview.com - All things digital camera. As in everything.
dg28.com - British shooter Neil Turner's wonderful lighting diary
Dave Black's site - Required reading if you use SB-800's
A Photographer's Sketchbook - Notes on lighting and gear
Planet Neil - A different Neil. Learn how to use on-camera flash.
EOS Flash Information - Exhaustive, three-part tutorial.
Nikon SB-800 Page - Good resource page for the Rolls Royce of Nikon Fla$he$.



Photographer's Sites

Gregory Heisler - IMO, the best there is at designing elegant (and appropriate) light for a photograph. Not to be missed.
Joe McNally uses Nikon SB's on many of his high-end shoots.
Ami Vitale - Wonderful website by an elegant and sensitive photojournalist
David Burnett - Gets the photos no one else does
Steve Liss - Frequent Time Magazine shooter
Walter Iooss, Jr. - Legendary sports photographer
Mark Seliger - Iconic Rolling Stone Magazine portraitist
Damon Winter - Stunning editorial portraiture
Dan Eldon - A journey inside the mind of a Reuters shooter. Not to be missed.
James Nachtwey - The world's premier war and conflict shooter
Vincent Laforet - A one-man force of nature
Clint Clemens - Journalistic-style, high-end commercial shooter


Agencies

Magnum - The much-storied photog-run agency
VII - This generation's answer to Magnum


Art/Misc Photo Blogs

Chromasia - British photographer's elegant showcase
A Walk Through Durham Township - Absolutely lovely
The Online Photographer - Eclectic, high quality photo blog
Daily Dose of Imagery
Daily Photography
Eggplant
Groundglass
John Washington
Blue Hour
Photoblogs.org - Need more? 16,000 and counting, here.


Photojournalism Sites

Digital Journalist - Great stuff. Don't miss Bill Pierce's columns.
Sports Shooter - Where sports pro's (and wannabes) hang out.
Rob Galbraith - Pro site for digital camera discussion
World Press Photos - International yearly competition site
Reportage - The online magazine of photojournalism


New! Reader Guest Book and Links Page

Guest Book and Reader Links - Let us know who you are!

Photojournalism College Programs

University of Florida
Western Kentucky
Missouri

Non-Photo Blogs

TreeHugger - If you are not already green, this site will turn you.
Gizmodo - Uber Gadget Blog
Orbitcast - All things satellite radio (XM Satellite Radio rocks)
Lifehacker - Just like it sounds: How to do stuff


My Paper

The Baltimore Sun - A fresh batch of 1's and 0's for the web every day


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

13 Comments:

Anonymous K Yelhgih said...

I'm interested in creating a sync cable. Althought I have an SB28 I have a D100, which does not appear to have the pc sync connection. Is there such a thing as a hotshoe-to-AC connector? And if so, will it work in the cable in place of a pc sync cable connection work? Or will I need to buy a pair of Pocket Wizards if I want use the flash off-camera?

June 15, 2006 12:24 PM  
Blogger David said...

You need a Nikon AS-15 PC adapter for your camera. If you read through the gear section there is more info on it.

-DH

June 15, 2006 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Matt said...

First of all, GREAT site! I admit to being afraid of off-camera lighting set ups until reading this site. Second, my father just gave me his SB-28 to sell, but I plan use it as my off camera flash. Know any way to slave my Canon 580EX (lacks sync connection) with the 28?

July 13, 2006 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Woody M said...

David, have you ever considered doing a 1 day workshop in the Baltimore / DC area? I am sure it would generate a lot of interest. I'm always amazed at what you can pull off with your strobes. You're like a lesser known Joe McNally.

August 31, 2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger David said...

Woody-

There is one in the works for January 2007. More info coming.

August 31, 2006 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really enjoy your blog - check it out daily. Helpful info on lighting for sure and inspired me not to spend a fortune on lights I probably don't need. Check out my photoblog when you get a chance, too, http://www.photoblog.watearndsky.com

Thanks! Ian

November 17, 2006 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Kevin said...

Great site!
I was trained in the 80's for shoots in the studio. Things change and now I shoot different. My business took me on location more often and I always carried gear like a studio photographer. Now I am learning differently and using the less is better philosophy. Thanks for all your help.
Kevin

January 14, 2007 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy

Just a quick request re SB 24s: can they be made to fire with just the light from my on camera flash? Or will I need some sort of adaptor? I want to do it wirelessly if I can, as I will be using it for wedding photography. I purchased a used one from Adorama. It came without paperwork. Thanks for any help. Great, fun, site.

rlmslo

March 14, 2007 6:44 PM  
Blogger solefald said...

Here is another link you may want to add. This guy's work and use of light are pretty incredible.

http://koendemuynck.com/

July 05, 2007 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Chuck Gardners articles are interesting enough to be included in the links page.

He has some interesting and illustrated articles on technique. How to light with a window and how to use flash.

He is clearly a strobist. At least in spirit. He says the learnt flash photography from Monte Zucker.

http://super.nova.org/DPR/

September 09, 2007 4:46 AM  
Blogger Alex Gilliard said...

I was surprised to see the absence of Chase Jarvis here.

January 07, 2008 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Ritzcam said...

We enjoyed your blog. Would you consider adding our link to your blog? We think you and your readers may enjoy our website. Please look at our site when you have time: www.collectiblecameras.com. Thank you for considering our request.

January 30, 2008 12:17 PM  
Blogger Vlbphoto said...

A very stupid question lol!

Speaking in gelatin filters to flash:

I have buy a full CTO gelatin filter.

I found among my material a revelation BW kitt Kodak Polymax Filter Set!
S
omeone has a table of Kelvins from these filters so you can use the flash to match the 1 / 2 CTO Converts tungsten (3200K) to 4300K or
1 / 4 CTO Converts tungsten (3200K) to 3600K

A preference equivalence for all the filters?

January 26, 2011 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home