LATEST: Newly expanded, updated Strobist Gear Guide.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

DIY: Digital EOS Holga

OK, so maybe this isn't really a strobe thing at first glance.

But looking it the photos from this hybrid Digital EOS/Holga got me to thinking how great this could look with some hard flash thrown in there mixing with the ambient. The plastic lens distorts and softens hard light into something ethereal and beautiful. So I am sticking it up on the blog in case you find it as interesting as I do.

A very creative man named Joachim Guanzon has mated a real Holga lens to a Canon EOS 20d digital camera. Even better, he has set up a web page to teach you how to do it yourself (to any lensmount, really.)

Holgas are the funky, artsy, cheapo, 2 1/4 format plastic cameras that have many people diving back into the funky soft retro look.

The above pictures are not from an actual Holga, but from Joachim's digital hybrid version. You either love the look or you hate it. I want to try some stuff with it, so I think I will make a hybrid Holga/Nikon D2h.

You'll need to buy (or find) a Holga and destroy it to make the hybrid. It's ok - they are very cheap. You'll also need a Dremel tool, (or a file and a heckuva lot of patience.)

His Flickr set, with process photos (and some hybrid photos) is here.

UPDATE: Ryan, in the comments section, notes that Randy Smith (from Holgamods.com) is selling them ready-made, mounted to body caps, at a decent price. It's a pretty good deal for those who don't want to rip apart their holga or who aren't very good with building junk.

(See why you should read the comments section? -DH)

Labels:



__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

12 Comments:

Anonymous Aaron J Scott said...

DUDE! I am totally going to rig one of those up. I haven't used my Holga in months. Dude! This is awesome. Dude.

Next trick after that: convincing the paper to use the photos!

May 23, 2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger David said...

Dude. I have to wonder what Strobist's foreign readers are thinking, reading these comments.

Dude.

May 23, 2006 4:59 PM  
Anonymous Aaron J Scott said...

Just a bunch of haoles. Big, dumb American haoles.

May 23, 2006 5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude!

May 23, 2006 8:37 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Randy Smith from Holgamods.com is selling them at a decent price with diffrent focus ranges. It's a pretty good deal for those who don't want to rip apart their holga or who aren't very good with building junk.

May 24, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Marshall said...

Even cheaper than a Lensbaby... (though, to be fair, I quite like the lensbaby)

May 24, 2006 12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made my own Holga-to EOS lens conversion a couple of years ago, and I could never get it to look right. The 60mm Holga 'optical lens' is made to cover (if that's the right word) a 6x6cm negative. By putting it on an EOS 1-D, I'm only using the very center of the image circle. The problem is that the images are *too good*!! That single-element plastic lens isn't bad enough to give me the results that I get with my beloved Holgas.

So go ahead and try it -- it'll only cost a body cap, after all, and the lens from a spare Holga. But your results will vary with the, um, quality of your particular lens.

--Ken B

May 24, 2006 8:49 PM  
Anonymous Chad Simcox said...

This gives me the insite to retry a failed technique I attempted 4 years ago. I wanted to turn my Canon Elan7E into a pinhole camera without spending any money. My idea was to cut off the bottom of a soda/beer can, spray paint it matte black and then put a tiny hole in the center to give me the apature opening. I then taped this onto the front of the camera and exposed using the bulb setting. Apparently I did something wrong because all I got were foggy frames of film with a tiny hint of shape occasionally.
I think I'll try this again with my 20D

July 28, 2006 10:22 PM  
Blogger msuttle said...

Has anyone tried this with other lenses such as manual Minolta lenses on a Canon digital? I would love to be able to wipe the dust off all my old school lenses and see what could be done.

November 27, 2006 10:47 PM  
Anonymous greywulf said...

Sweet!

I love my Loreo lens-in-a-cap and that cost just $19, including shipping from Hong Kong. It makes a great pinhole lens/street photo combination, and turns a bulky SLR into something pocket-sized. Wonderful.

There's something to be said about using less than perfect lenses on hi-tech equipment. Sometimes, perfection isn't in what's good, but what is bad.

November 28, 2006 11:59 AM  
Blogger a u s t i n said...

I definitely want to try this.

July 15, 2007 2:15 PM  
Blogger Ralph Ricciardi said...

I came across this same idea on Amazon. I bought one and it should arrive shortly. Only $23. Little cheaper then the aforementioned site(I usually don't look to cut out someone else's business, but this section is all about CHEAP so I thought it worth mentioning.

Look here

http://www.amazon.com/Holga-Lens-Canon-Mark-60Da/dp/B009657XYQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1397241934&sr=1-9

April 11, 2014 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home