LATEST: Newly expanded, updated Strobist Gear Guide.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Bootcamp Headshot Deadline: One Week From Today

One week to go, my procrastinating friends...

But as you can see by the sampling on this post, there are a few brave souls out there already posting their efforts way before deadline. Good for you guys. Still waiting to see if you guys (as a group) are actually going to take up the challenge in real numbers. Or perhaps I have attracted a passive group of recreational readers. (No pressure, though.)

On the other hand, I am amazed at the number of people who have joined the Strobist group at Flickr. (Of course, all that takes is the click of a mouse...)

If you are late to the game, there is still time to do the first assignment of Strobist Lighting Bootcamp. Just follow the link in the sidebar at right. If you aren't showing up for the headshot stuff, you are gonna have a heckuva time catching up with the assignments start to get interesting.

On a side note, I would strongly prefer limiting the pool photo posting to photos lit by off-camera flash - or extremely interesting photos with on-camera flash. That is kind of the idea of the group. One of the admins could just run through there, deleting photos willy-nilly, but it would be much better to self-police if you could. Muchas gracias.

No posts tomorrow, as the Hobby family (me and the missus, an 8-year-old and a 5-year-old) are going to be at the gates of Disney's EPCOT when they open up and go straight through until they kick us out at closing time - 14 hours later.

Crazy? Maybe. We'll see. I've been several times before, but it is the first time for the curtain climbers.

Just hope we remember the sunscreen. I'm the beet-red, burn-and-peel type.

Wish us luck.

-D

UPDATE: Silly me. I thought EPCOT stood for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Turns out, it stands for Every Person Comes Out Tired. But it was a lot of fun. Especially with two kids soaking up just about as much knowledge as they could in a single, albeit long, day.


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry David I think everyone is just holding back untl the deadline. Don't want to give away too much just yet. Might give someone better than I am a headsup :)

I for one have already done a test shoot with my choosen lighting setup. Keeping in mind the assignment. BASIC headshot to run in a newspaper/magazine.

Everything worked out fine lighting wise but it also showed me the kind of subject I'm going to need to make the final photo. Now I just have to find the time to convince a particular friend to sit still for a few minutes. O yeah that and a full time job managing a retail shop.

Thanks again for the site and I agree the posts to the FLICKR group are getting WAY off topic. Seems pretty simple to me. Flash and flash related posts. I'm sure there is lots of room elsewhere for the other stuff.

Chris (PIXIllate)

June 21, 2006 10:26 PM  
Anonymous che said...

As to the group, I'm afraid some people might got tricked by its description ("throw up whatever you want").

June 21, 2006 10:34 PM  
Blogger Peter & Linda said...

Just discovered this most interesting group.
It will be a while before I can assemble the one missing piece to get off camera and do any sort of participating. Sigh, have a few small strobes(5) and radio trigger but I am Canon so need to obtain the little hotshoe-miniplug thingy.
Actually with a trip to RadioShack I think I should be able to DIY with some old parts. We'll see this weekend.
Either that or go out wandering with 1600w/s heads and a generator :) na, don't think that will happen. :)

June 22, 2006 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awaiting the UPS truck from Adorama - which is hopefully somewhere in the mid-atlantic & heading east! ;-)

Will join in when I get the gear together...

June 22, 2006 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Youri said...

Is it possible to join in a few days after the deadline? I have a brand new cam and I'm planning to buy a horshoe for it when my paycheck comes in...which is about the same day as the end of assignment 1:-(

Great initiative btw, and love the site and your little reports, thnx for the effert!

June 23, 2006 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous stated "Everything worked out fine lighting wise but it also showed me the kind of subject I'm going to need to make the final photo. Now I just have to find the time to convince a particular friend to sit still for a few minutes."

I would hope that the model would have nothing to do with who would win this assignment. The assignment is:
"Need mug of Pat Harwood for next issue of magazine.
Might run w/some size."

Pat hardwood could be -u-g-l-y-(won't allow strike), not very exiting. The assignment is to take the best shot you can of whoever Pat Hardwood turns out to be. Getting an alright shot of a great looking person should lose to a better lit shot of a very less attractive person.

Can we hear from the judges?

June 23, 2006 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think focusing too much on winning is missing the point. Isn't the point of the assignments to improve your lighting skills?

Tim

June 23, 2006 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who said I was going to get a better looking person? I did the test shoot with my girlfriend so let's HOPE that's not my motivation.

What I was refering to was actually choosing a guy over a girl. The lighting I choose to work on is kind of direct and slightly hard. Generally working better with males. But it did turn out OK with a woman and it is quick to set up so I think it's a valid idea for shooting anyone.

I had a lighting idea and am working within the assignment. But surely I can try to put together the best entry I can?

I'm not worried about "winning", as a matter of fact my entry probably won't be even close to the best one having seen some of the submissions to date.

Geeezz folks lightin' up!!
(pun intended)

Chris (PIXIllate)

June 23, 2006 6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading all the other topics on the site and low and behold last night I just noticed the boot camp. I love the idea and will be participating. 4 days for a headshot hopefully should be no problem. now I just need to convince some unsuspecting mug into letting me shoot them.

Rye Man

June 24, 2006 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home