Stop Reading This Site

And go get this DVD series instead.

The Dean Collins compilation DVD's are out and shipping. I got a heads up from some of the site's readers who have pre-ordered and are already getting their copies in. I have not seen them yet, but I pretty much wore my old Collins VHS tapes out. I recognize every shoot blurbed on the order page, so I am very excited to get my hands on this stuff again.

I am so glad they are finally out in DVD form.

This guy was far and away the biggest influence on me as a lighting photographer. His stuff is done on a larger scale and with more powerful gear than most of our projects. But the theory is sound and very applicable.

In the videos, he creates some really cool stuff right in front of your eyes. And he leaves you realizing that you can be working on that level, too.

He will teach you to think about light in a systematic way that will enable you apply your knowledge to just about any lighting situation, using any gear.

Look past the 80's clothing styles (and haircuts) and see this stuff for what it is: The legacy of a genius who also happened to be an outstanding teacher.

As far as lighting instructors go, there are none better. If you are serious about learning this stuff, you want to learn as much as you can from Collins.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best thing to hit the lighting scene in recent memory. And if I am gushing, well, sorry. But this is where it all began for me, and I am excited to be able to spread the word for the next generation of shooters.

The six-hour, 4 DVD set is priced at $179, but they have an early-purchase special running until August 31 in which it is selling for $125.

If you have already received yours, please post your impressions here, on the Flickr group board.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am gonna go get my copy.


__________

New to Strobist? Start here | Or jump right to Lighting 101
Got a question? Hit me on Twitter: @Strobist
Have a passport? Join me in Hanoi: X-Peditions Location Workshops



Permalink