Saturday, January 06, 2007

Weekend Surfing: Lost America

Looking for some weekend reading? Photographer and Strobist reader Troy Paiva makes the wrecked cars, abandoned trailers and decrepit aircraft skeletons of the American desert west his ghostly subjects at his website, Lost America.

Using a balance of moonlight, multicolored strobe pops and light painting with a flashlight Troy evokes a surreal mood in these once-glorious, now rusted-out settings.

Troy has a large volume of work that comprises many years. He has a book and a ton of pix posted in the Strobist Flickr pool.

And there's a detailed how-to page on his site, too .

By Mike H.


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

4 Comments:

Anonymous Mike Rothermel said...

Interesting you should pick this guy up. I noticed him back a few months when I search flickr for lighting. (Because of my light paintings.)

That's a cool idea of using stobes, I wouldn't have thought of using them like that. He's definitely a very creative person, someone to check out.

January 06, 2007 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, nice photos.
I thought this was the best place to ask, Someone said the Nikon SB-600's and SB-800's do not work together so well for Off camera TTL (CLS) compared to all SB-600's or All SB-800's. I'm just wondering if this is true. I have an SB800 and I was planning on getting an SB600 or two.

Thanks,
Ben,
www.fotki.com/LindoPhotography
truethful1@hotmail.com

January 07, 2007 1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, nice photos.
I thought this was the best place to ask, Someone said the Nikon SB-600's and SB-800's do not work together so well for Off camera TTL (CLS) compared to all SB-600's or All SB-800's. I'm just wondering if this is true. I have an SB800 and I was planning on getting an SB600 or two.

Thanks,
Ben,
www.fotki.com/LindoPhotography
truethful1@hotmail.com

January 07, 2007 1:53 AM  
Blogger Clive Evans said...

Just received acopy of "Lost America" by Troy Pavia.
Really great book, thoroghly recommended!
Clive Evans
Antibes
France

www.clive-evans.com

February 09, 2007 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home