Dungeon Fun, And an Extended Vacation

UPDATE: Can't fool you guys anymore. Renegade Photo's comment was the first to get the general concept, and the comment right afterwards nailed the technique perfectly.

And yes, for those who mentioned it, the red streaks were the flash's ready light, which we left in.


I was lucky enough to get to be a part of my friend (and fellow photog) Thomas Graves' Basement Gallery a coupla weeks back.

Thomas is battling whipping non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, something he apparently thought would be more interesting to do than to shoot for the last few months. His weapons of choice were lots of drugs and a challenged challenging sense of humor.

As a little background info, this guy used to be my assignment editor at The Sun. ("Hey, I see you have 15 minutes between your afternoon assignments. Can you find me some weather art? Make it a vertical, okay?")

He lures people into his house with that "come visit the sick guy" routine, and then traps them in his basement studio until they make a creative self portrait. You know the type.

Well, here's mine, and I thought I'd throw it out to you guys to reverse:

• One strobe.
• One exposure.
• No Photoshopping.

Fire away in the photo's Flickr comments, and I will post the dumber-than-you-probably-think answer later today.

And check out Thomas' bloggish web page thingie and his basement gallery if you want a textbook approach to beating cancer.

Way to go, Thomas.


__________

New to Strobist? Start here | Or jump right to Lighting 101
Got a question? Hit me on Twitter: @Strobist
Have a passport? Join me in Hanoi: X-Peditions Location Workshops



Permalink