LATEST: Newly expanded, updated Strobist Gear Guide.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Ultra-Cheap Quickie Mini Macro Studio

Okay, so I'll be the first to admit that this paper light tent makes the $10 Macro Studio sound positively luxurious and wasteful.

That said, this is a technique I use a lot.

And since Strobist reader Jeff Geerling beat me to the punch on writing about it, I am sending you over to his place for a little field trip.

If you have something very small to shoot on white, there is no reason to crack open the studio - or even cut up a box - when your solution is as near as your laser printer. Two sheets of white paper and two pieces of tape is all it takes.

Oh, and both of my kids are so jonesing for those little iPod Shuffles. I do not need one for myself, as my 8-track is still working just fine, thank you.


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

11 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for the link! Bye the way, if you check out Apple's online store, they have refurbished iPod shuffles (which are in very good condition) for $49 - the one pictured was purchased this way...

April 17, 2007 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea, I would suggest spending the extra money and use 11x14 pager!

Jim P

April 17, 2007 9:34 PM  
Blogger Don Sweener said...

So the next challenge will be ? Toilet Paper? How many ply's equals a F-stop? Can we use the roll as a snoot? Does everyone know you can get free rosco gels for your flash? Call up anyone and ask for the sample swatch thingy. They fit over most flashes and theres about 50 to 100 colors, tones and correction gels.

April 17, 2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger Bruko said...

I really love how "strobist" is becoming more like a collective conscience, like the Borg. But with less useless gear lying around bodyparts. And with a hell lot of more thinking involved.

Sara

April 18, 2007 4:36 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Nice! I think have some 8 tracks I can sell ya!

April 18, 2007 7:02 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Wow, when I saw that picture, I thought, "Why did he include Apple's press picture of a Shuffle for this seemingly unrelated post?"

I'll definitely be trying this for some cell phones I'm about to sell on eBay. Thanks!

April 18, 2007 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Photographer Italy said...

Simple, smart...
Photographers have only to think before shooting and buying new gear!!!
Strobist is a super duper resources, the blog improoves my lateral (side) way of thinking.

April 19, 2007 2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When shooting macro for very small parts you may find the structure in the paper disturbing. Using photopaper solved this for me.

April 20, 2007 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone tried this origami macro studio?

April 21, 2007 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Jeff Geerling said...

Trying a variety of paper types (and colors) makes this even more interesting, and, as the anonymous poster above suggested (linked to the origami macro studio), you can fold the paper or support it via other means to make a bigger mini-macro studio.

April 23, 2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger Chao said...

Nice I like the simplicity, and if you need to do something bigger I've come up with this setup, I will perfect it when I have time, but works fine for ebay photos I was doing. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciao_chao/3923165879/

C

September 16, 2009 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home