DON'T MISS: Italian conceptual portrait photographer Sara Lando coming to US for two weekends of workshops in August.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Cool, Warts-and-All Photo Video

Chase Jarvis, whom you may recall from the ubercool photo laptop briefcase he designed, is at it again.

Assigned to shoot a series of videos for the Hasselblad "Master" series (go on ahead witcha bad self, Chase) he compiled every shot he made into a flipbook video to show the process behind the photos.

This is very cool. It is a quick way to watch the progression of how he thinks. He even has lighting test shots in there, too.

Honestly, I am a little surprised that he shoots as few frames as he does. He quickly progresses to the photo he is looking for. I, on the other hand, tend to burn frames like there is no tomorrow.

I guess that is the difference between a wannabe and a Master...



More info here.


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

12 Comments:

Blogger GaryThom said...

Fantastic, some inspirational ideas and concepts

May 11, 2007 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Marton said...

That was awesome! :)

Great to see even the test shots! Thanks for sharing that with us

May 11, 2007 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, do I go to work, or watch the video?

Watch or work?

Learn or earn?

(XSZZZT) brain short circuits.

Never mind.

(dream state ends...)

That's what I really like about this place (and I feel that Strobist is really a community - a place - more than a web site): I can learn so much.

One day David will come to Ohio, and I'll be in heaven.

I hope things are going well in London, too!

May 11, 2007 1:16 PM  
Blogger Norbert said...

Cutting out the frames that he's actually going to use makes this film less fluent ;-)

May 11, 2007 1:32 PM  
Blogger Jacob said...

Wow, I'd give my left nut to work with that guy. Impressive. (Not that I wouldn't enjoy working with you, either, David.. I mean, I'd totally give up... like TV or something... for an entire week...)

May 11, 2007 2:08 PM  
Blogger Patrick Smith said...

Awesome! Some of that stuff is really BA! I really like the gun sequences in the beginning, but for some reason, I love the golf bunker image. That song fit impeccably, too.

May 11, 2007 3:21 PM  
Blogger QorbeQ said...

Cool find. The green-screen stuff was very enlightening - so well done it would be hard to tell without being told.

May 11, 2007 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great video, gives a lot of ideas for taking sport pics! Thanks!!

May 12, 2007 3:29 AM  
Blogger Taylor said...

I have to say, this video is very inspirational -- and quite helpful. I'm pretty certain I would have stopped at his third or fourth image in most of those sequences... So: have a vision and keep working it until it works. That really makes me want to go out and shoot!

May 29, 2007 9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing stuff! That is a nice "pop video" there. How often could we watch that and still see something new and interesting? The music fits well, and is very good too.

Keep up the great work!

July 19, 2007 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People who shoot a lot of frames, frantically, should try to shoot with a polaroid camera, or a 512mb CF card, or Pentax 67 where there's only 10 frames on each film. That SHOULD teach anyone to concentrate more, and that way become a better, more delibereate shooter. I did all of the above various periods in my life, and I find it amazing to shoot less, and get more.

It will train your inner visionary eyes, to *see* better.

Oliver Nielsen

January 07, 2008 5:40 AM  
Anonymous t3lmo said...

The same as above … try to shoot different things with the same lens (prime lens), use one aperture or one ISO...

January 08, 2008 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home