Friday, June 29, 2007

Got Me Thinkin': Asymmetrical Strip Bank

Pop Photo's 2007 awards for lighting gear are out. Sadly, the Strobist $10 macro studio was left at the altar.

(Was it the build quality? I promise I'll use more tape next time...)

But among the things that did get noticed was the Westcott Bruce Dorn Asymmetrical Strip Bank. The lengthily named strip light is brighter up top than down below, offering automatic feathering for full and 3/4 length portraits.

Not going to run out and buy it, because the missus won't let me I am pretty busy these days. But I sure will be ready to ape the concept next time I shoot a flash through a diffusion panel. Same principle.

Kinda neat, actually.
_____________________________

Pop Photo's Article
Westcott's site


__________

Brand new to Strobist? Start here | Or jump right to Lighting 101
Connect w/Strobist readers via: Words | Photos
Ping me on Twitter: @Strobist

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's YOUR money, not the missus! Spend spend spend!

June 29, 2007 1:17 AM  
Blogger jbloom said...

You aren't married, are you, Anonymous?

June 29, 2007 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous above must not be married!!!

June 29, 2007 8:44 AM  
Blogger p said...

And this is why some people are married and some people WERE married. :)

June 29, 2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger Steve Thurow said...

Anonymous has clearly never been married or he'd know the saying, what's mine is hers and what's hers is hers.

On a lighting note, just shoot the strobe through the higher portion of the diffusion panel and let the light fall off. Looking at the softbox; all this manufacturer has done is placed the head higher in the sofbox, most are centered. If that was obvious to everyone else I'll shut up now.

June 29, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger Klifton said...

Note that the anonymous user who says "spend spend spend" is really either A) hiding from his wife! OR B) is a single college student, who personally has no money to spend. heh heh. ;)

June 29, 2007 10:23 AM  
Blogger Antonio said...

Reading the awards list I found:

EDITOR'S CHOICE Imaging Software
Microsoft Windows Vista

LOL

I must cancel my membership to POPhoto ...

June 29, 2007 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Gary said...

Funny, I was just looking for a new softbox solution today. This isn't it. Anyone know of system that can be attached to a SB-28 or SB600? Maybe I've missed a post here but all the softboxes I find seem to be setup exlusively for large strobe heads.

June 29, 2007 11:46 AM  
Blogger Klifton said...

gary: check out the Westcott Apollo series... They're not the easiest or most efficient to setup, but they do work well... Also you can get a speedlight (as well as a double) speedring adapter from chimera for using on regular softboxes or octaboxes.

June 29, 2007 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Gary said...

Great info klifton. The speedring adapter sound like the way to go. Thanks very much.

June 29, 2007 7:27 PM  
Blogger Don Giannatti said...

My buddy David Smith just bought one of these yesterday. He brought it to the studio today for a shoot. It is very well made, has three different diffusers and an internal baffle. Good, strong hardware and a solid feel. I haven't had a chance to play with it much, but the concept is pretty cool. I think it may be a nice addition for anyone looking for a softbox solution that works with speedlights and studio strobes. He paid $300... which I thought initially was fairly steep, but on inspection it is rather fair.

June 29, 2007 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home