Friday, June 29, 2007

OT, But Cool: One Year of Esquire for Less Than a Gallon of Gas

Yeah, this is OT, but bear with me. It's too good to pass up. Esquire Magazine is one of my two absolute favorite magazines in the world.

(My other favorite mag is Wired, which you have heard me yammer on about before in this post about photographer Dan Winters.)

Esquire is consistently a great read. Good photography, used well. Funny, literate, alternately sophisticated and down-to-earth. It is basically a monthly instruction manual for being a guy.

Here's another thing I like. They take a lot of chances with new ideas and approaches. So much so that they occasionally fall on their face. It's an admirable quality (the former more than the latter) and one that is rare in the magazine world.

Yeah, there's girls in there, too. (Hi, Angelina...) But that is sufficiently restrained as to carry an appropriate Wife Acceptance Factor. In fact, the missus reads it every month, too. And she has lamented the fact that there is not really a women's magazine equivalent of Esquire.

But here is why bringing it up: Amazon has just stuck it up on the $5.00 instant rebate rack, which drops the price down to $3.00, or just 25 cents an issue.

So, take my advice and forego a cup of coffee today and get Esquire for a whole year instead. You won't regret it. Just hurry up, as the offer expires tomorrow.

(Sorry to dis the international readers again, but this one is U.S. only, too.)


__________

Brand new to Strobist? Start here | Or jump right to Lighting 101
Connect w/Strobist readers via: Words | Photos


Comments are closed. Question? Hit me on Twitter: @Strobist

15 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for the tip! Just placed my order.

I agree... it's no Harper's, but it's still a consistently a fun read.

June 29, 2007 1:39 AM  
Blogger Ikeaphile said...

Who hoo!!

Can't hate on a great deal.
THX (aside from the THX for choosing us humble students over your job(aside from your family of course)).

June 29, 2007 1:57 AM  
Blogger Chris Parker said...

David, I just ordered my Esquire magazine. Man, you'll hock anything now that you're flying solo! I told you I'd help support you financially. Just curious, how many people followed my lead?

June 29, 2007 1:57 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

And again... us non-US folks are not gettin' any... :(

June 29, 2007 2:13 AM  
Blogger Omless Wanderer said...

And she has lamented the fact that there is not really a women's magazine equivalent of Esquire.

You mean O doesn't count as a monthly instruction manual to being a woman? >.>

June 29, 2007 3:39 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Thanks, I like esquire, heres a couple of links for Wired at 3 bucks:

http://www.wholesalesubscriptions.com/Wired-Magazine-p-494.html

and ebay 3 years for 15 bucks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRED-Magazine-Subscription-3-years-12-Issues-NEW_W0QQitemZ230134724423QQihZ013QQcategoryZ29259QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

June 29, 2007 4:09 AM  
Anonymous Mat said...

Hi David,

I wish you'd have some international offers as well, not just US only. I know it's not up to you, but you have a great site and a big mass of people behind you, I'm sure some EU companies would be interested in helping/advertising. Beside, EU is now economicaly stronger then US so where are all those companies??
Hello, anyone out there?!? We're spending a ton of money here, give us free shipping or discount or something and you'll make a killing!


Anyhow.. have a great day.
Mat

June 29, 2007 4:42 AM  
Blogger dirtyone30 said...

Hi David, cheers for that, you are wrong that it is only available in the US. I have just ordered a UK subscription for one year for 20 bucks. Usually one issue costs nearly $7 over here...

June 29, 2007 5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if you go for TWO years, it's $12 - 5 = $7.00

What a deal!

Thanks for the heads up. (Sorry to all you folks outside the U.S.)

Pete

June 29, 2007 7:14 AM  
Anonymous Steve O. said...

Thanks, David. I just signed up. As an editor, I cannot read a book without noticing errors. After taking your 101, and now 102, classes, I cannot look at photos without trying to reverse engineer the shot. Keep up the good work.
Steve O.

June 29, 2007 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Chet Piotrowski Jr. said...

Picked up the latest issue of Wired. They had a story on the buzz about the Transformers.The photographer took the Megatron toy from the 80s and lit it damned well. How does one light something that small that well?

June 29, 2007 11:04 AM  
Blogger Bernard said...

Been a subscriber for years now and I echo everything David said. This is truly the one magazine every man must read.

June 29, 2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger Nick Stone said...

Esquire writers use too much foul language (Based on the Robert Downey Jr.Issue). I was raised to use a foul mouth when I smash my thumb, not when I'm describing how much I love the beach. This world, it's a changin'...

June 29, 2007 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Pms-swim said...

Hey Senor Dave:

OT, but since we're already shopping the bargain stores- here is a link to 12 pack of 10 inch Ball Bungee cords for $2.00 via Amazon, FYI -Pablo

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Top-10-Inch-12-Pack-700121/dp/B000FH7NI0/ref=br_lf_m_1000046201_1_25_ttl/102-9591264-7076946?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=hi&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=068MB3BAVFSQ0KMMYVSV&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=295908501&pf_rd_i=1000046201

June 29, 2007 2:34 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Esquire's a great deal even at the regular subscription price of under 10 bucks for year. Usually great articles in the last 30 pages or so. And good photography. The rest is a bunch of "I'm cooler than you" BS, but I always get entertained by it nonetheless.

June 29, 2007 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home