Monday, July 16, 2007

The F Stop's Here

Last year, shooting the Miss USA pageant, I met a New York City-based photographer named Zack Seckler. We spent a while in the media room complaining about our total lack of access in covering what was basically a vacuous, two-week long ode to hairspray and teeth whitener.

The other day I get a "Remember me?" email from Zack. Oh, and by the way, he is starting up a new online photo magazine and could I take a look at it.

One of the downsides of having my contact info in such a public context means I get a lot of emails. I usually get north of 100 a day about brand new online photo magazines (you wouldn't believe) indispensable camera doodads, amazing penis lengthening medications and many, many stunning opportunities to share in the six-figure inheritances of excruciatingly polite Nigerian businesspeople.

But Zack and I had actually shared a photojournalistic day from hell in the press room in the bowels of First Mariner Arena, so I popped over to take a look.

Turns out that Zack's 'zine is a very cool look into the world of hi-end advertising photography. It has photos, photographer interviews, lighting diagrams - the whole nine yards. I don't know about you, but I can't get enough of stuff like this.

It's amazing to a ground-level photog like myself just how much of the high-end stuff is carefully composited from multiple, tightly controlled elements. I do not know if I could work in an environment like that. Not the technical issues. I could learn those. But the idea of being so anal retentive about every tiny piece of a photos, with creative directors signing off on the even the smallest details -- I'd eat a gun within six months.

Which maybe explains why I shoot stuff in cardboard boxes.

Zack's mag is called "The F Stop," and you can see the first issue here. I signed up on the email list, and am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with in the next issue.

Way to go, man. Good stuff.


__________

Brand new to Strobist? Start here | Or jump right to Lighting 101
Connect w/Strobist readers via: Words | Photos
Ping me on Twitter: @Strobist

9 Comments:

Anonymous Robert said...

This is really a great link. Thanks for sharing. What really makes it a great read is the way it is presented. The lighting diagrams are inline with the text and not only that, but you can click on them to get a larger view without having to lose your spot in the article.

July 16, 2007 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Tom Robbrecht said...

Woweee zowee !
Thanks for the link, that is one interesting read. Very inspiring.
Tom.

July 16, 2007 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Andrew Smith said...

"But the idea of being so anal retentive about every tiny piece of a photos, with creative directors signing off on the even the smallest details -- I'd eat a gun within six months."

That sounds great to me! If every 2-minute photo call could work that way instead I'd be a happy man.

July 16, 2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger Mike S. said...

David, do you realize you said "composted" when you might have meant "composited"?

Funny Freudian (?) slip.

Hope the new gig is working out well. Way cool site, this fstop..whatever..site.

July 16, 2007 9:57 PM  
Blogger John said...

Very promising content, but the light gray on white theme is difficult on the eyes, get worse the longer you're exposed to it and is, in a word, annoying.

July 16, 2007 10:59 PM  
Blogger David said...

Mike:

Well, I do now... THanks for the heads-up.

July 16, 2007 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Adam Lee Fitzgerald said...

This is awesome! Great detail on how all those amazing shots are taken! Most of us probably never knew how many of those ads we see are total composites. Amazing stuff...makes you believe anything is possible.

July 17, 2007 10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb link - many thanks for that. I have signed up for email updates and have submitted to photographyvoter.com so hopefully it'll get some more traffic from there..

July 17, 2007 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Photographer Italy said...

Really nice and interesting.
Great Site!!!
Thanks.

July 18, 2007 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home