David Greene on Ghetto Fluorescent Strip Lights



David Greene does a great job of walking you through Home Depot's lighting aisle and shows you exactly what you need, how to mount them to stands, etc.

FWIW, I can see lots more possibilities for this beyond split 45's against the wall. I'd at least pull her (and the lights) out away from the wall to drop the tone of the background for more tonal separation.

Think what you could do with four of these babies, adding one on each back side as a rim/separation light. They could also look pretty sharp (in front) done high/low, strip-light-clamshell style.

This is a good way to get a "look" with people wearing glasses, too. There is so little horizontal width to the light source that you can just let the reflections hang out away from the eyes. (Example here.)

Just checking my local Home Depot, the fixtures (in red!) are only $21.97 each. Just remember to get the 5000k tubes. And I sure am glad that I am not the only one who hears rock guitars when I walk through Home Depot trying to score some cheap lights...

(Thanks for the tip, Manblu.)

-30-


__________

New to Strobist? Start here | Or jump right to Lighting 101
Got a question? Hit me on Twitter: @Strobist
Have a passport? Join me in Hanoi: X-Peditions Location Workshops



Permalink