LATEST: Newly expanded, updated Strobist Gear Guide.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Strobist Reader-Designed Pocket Wizard Caddy

Reader Hil, an industrial designer by day, has created a way to mount your Pocket Wizards to a light stand or directly to a flash. He calls it the Pocket Wizard "Remote Transceiver" Caddy.

Having tried it, I can can report that it works very well. Your "remote transceiver" is basically part of the stand when it is attached.

Why would you even want one of these? Most people just hang 'em by the included straps, obviously. I take the straps off of my older, non switch-hitter tranmitters so I can tell them from the receivers. (The transmitters do not need straps as they mount to the hot shoe.)

But those of you who shoot weddings or events (or work in any venue where you have to shoot and scoot) will appreciate everything traveling together as a unit and not banging around when you are on the move. They are currently available at MPEX, for $15.

(You also may remember Hil from the very cool PVC water-resistant speedlight housing we featured last July.)
____________________

:: More Info ::
:: Get One Here::

-30-


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

10 Comments:

Blogger Dilip said...

I found out about this caddy several days ago and have three (or was it four?) enroute to me - I was told I may be receiving the first ones! It looks like a nice and elegant design at a great price. I'm going to show this off to my students if it works as well as it appears to.

November 29, 2007 1:22 AM  
Anonymous Paul Benjamin said...

For $15, I take back most of the mean things I said about them. I'm not sure if I'll buy, but the price is definitely right...

November 29, 2007 1:53 AM  
Blogger David said...

Paul-

Thanks for saying that. Hil's a good guy, and he was specifically trying to apply his training toward making something our group would find useful.

November 29, 2007 1:56 AM  
Blogger Tim Broyer said...

Sweet Niblets!

I ordered two. One of my biggest pet peeves was the swinging PW.

thanks,

November 29, 2007 5:58 AM  
Blogger carlos said...

I have one already and I can tell you I'll be getting some more. It seems like a pretty small investment to help protect a more substantial one.

November 29, 2007 7:25 AM  
Anonymous Photonomikon said...

Umm... what's the point? A couple of elastic bands would work just as well, with the added bonus of being virtually free.

November 29, 2007 10:27 AM  
Blogger jasphoto said...

I love the idea but $15 each seams a little steep to me since I need so many. He should sell a mega pack (can you tell I have a kid in daipers) of 8 or 10 @ $10 each. Then I'd go for it.

November 29, 2007 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anywhere else to buy them? MPEX is so hard to deal with. If you order 2 of these, it doubles your shipping charge.

November 29, 2007 12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks awesome! But I second jasphoto -- how about 6 for $75? Whaddya say, MPEX?

November 29, 2007 6:10 PM  
Anonymous BMan2 said...

Or ... ummm .. how about the supplied velcro to mount it on the head of the flash? Works fine and dandy for me - and they seem to never fall off for me :P

December 03, 2007 4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home