DON'T MISS: Italian conceptual portrait photographer Sara Lando coming to US for two weekends of workshops in August.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Easy Nikon SB-600 Sync Jack Mod

For most people, the biggest difference between the Nikon SB-800 and SB-600 speedlights is the presence (or lack) of a Pocket Wizard-friendly sync jack. Remember the genius/insanity guy from a couple weeks ago?

Well, here's another idea from him that is all genius without that pesky "insanity" part. It's also cheap and easy.

Aki K. has taken the little AS-19 stand thingie that comes with the SB-600 (and the -800) and created a slick little sync jack mod using a female 1/8" mono jack. That's about three bucks at Radio Shack or any one of a gazillion other places.

The genius is in the simplicity: He drilled a couple of holes in the AS-19 and connected the leads of the jack (using bare wire) to the center point (positive) and along the rail (negative) areas of the insides of the plastic cold shoe part. The jack fits right one of the other shoe feet. A jack, a little wire, a drill and some glue. Sweet.

Here's the genius-er part: Your required cord to sync your SB-600 to a Pocket Wizard is now a 1/8" mono-to-mono audio patch cord -- also $3.99 at Radio Shack and many other places.

Nice thinkin' there Aki. Click the pic (or here) to see more details on how to do it, ask him questions, give him props -- whatever. You can also see his whole camera kit, chock full of second-hand bargains and DIY'd goodies, here.


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

11 Comments:

Blogger Nick Davis said...

Cool stuff...I was just going through my bag o' junk and this little guy almost got tossed, I rarely use it, but now...

Hey, maybe I'll rig one up on my umbrella/flash clamp

*goes to get drill and wire*

Now I just hope Santa brings my pocket wizards!

December 18, 2007 3:19 AM  
Anonymous bikrex said...

I've been trying all night .. literally... its 5 am now haha but i wanted to get it but i can't..Do i have to ground the Neg so it touches the ground on the flash? or can i just mount the peice of metal where ever and solder the neg from the plug to the metal.

i shall sleep and try again tommorow

Thanks in Advance

December 18, 2007 8:13 AM  
Blogger carlos said...

That is seriously cool...... I mean, anyone could adapt that to fire other *cough*cough*Canon*cough* flashes that don't have sync ports. Very cool indeed.....

December 18, 2007 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Alexei said...

Would this work with the Canon Speedlite 430?

December 18, 2007 9:49 AM  
Blogger Kirk said...

It is funny that you posted this tid-bit of information. On Saturday I went to my local all-n-one photography store, which isn’t so local for me. My goal was to find something that would allow me to hook up a PC connection to my SB-600. They really didn’t have a cheap solution for my plight. They had all these cables cords and shoes to do nothing of what I really wanted. I left dejected.

However today, as I am cruising through your blog and I find a solution to my needs. As far as I can tell this will be about 95% cheaper too. Cheers to you and Aki for posting this ingenious method of a better, cheaper mouse trap.

December 18, 2007 11:07 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

I've replaced the hot shoe adapter on my Sigma EF-500 DG Supers enough times to feel comfortable cracking the case, and the last time I was in there, I realized that it wouldn't be all that much trouble just to get a 1/8" jack from RadioShack (like this one), cut a hole near the hot shoe, and just solder them in directly to the center post and ground connectors so I can plug directly from my Poverty Wizards, (or PW's if I ever win the lottery).

I think anyone who buys a flash on eBay that doesn't already have a 1/8" jack on it should just take the plunge, learn how to solder, and make things easier in the long run.

As soon as my antennas for my Cactus V2 Mod come in, I'll spend a little quality time with my soldering iron, and also add a few jacks to all 3 Sigmas.

December 18, 2007 12:22 PM  
Blogger elliott said...

As an added bonus, you retain use of Nikon's proprietary hot shoe locking system.

I was using a Wein Hot Shoe Slave with gaffer's tape on the sensor to add a PC port to my non-PC slaves.

December 18, 2007 1:27 PM  
Anonymous MezaFlicks.com said...

Hey ive been using these over at flashzebra premodded and very good quaility for $19.50 http://flashzebra.com/wizardcables/hotshoe.shtml

they are awesome cant beat the price

December 19, 2007 2:16 AM  
Blogger Aki Korhonen said...

Thanks for all the comments so far. I uploaded a photo with more details about some parts:
http://flickr.com/photos/akeeh/2124702726/

December 20, 2007 4:52 AM  
Blogger taylor said...

how does the remote flash work? im having a hard time trying it after reading the directions. i know to hold zoom button & the - button, the custom meun comes up, but what next?
the plan is the try to remote wireless start the sb 600, behind an object by the flash from my d70s.

January 20, 2009 2:19 AM  
Blogger Paul Adams said...

This is going to be my "holiday break" project, though I'll probably do the one that modifies the flash itself (instead of the shoe).

An alternative could be this part from Midwest Photo Exchange:
http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,10125.html

December 23, 2010 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home