• I am in the process of venue selection for the Mar. 15-16 seminars in Phoenix, AZ. More details coming soon.
• Scott Kelby's new tome, The Digital Photography Book, Vol. 2, is out, following the wildly successful Vol. 1. I helped edit the chapter on flash, which, like the rest of the book is vintage, nuts-and-bolts Kelby. It is reviewed by a Strobist reader Ivan Makarov, here.
• Registration for the Northern Short Course (Rochester, NY, Mar. 13-15) has opened. I will not be teaching there this time due to a scheduling conflict. But they have a very strong roster of speakers this year, including my long-time friend, Chris Usher, whom I will be very sad to miss. These NPPA things are always killer deals and you should definitely try it out if you are in the Northeast USA.
• I will be doing four two-hour workshops at the Southern Short Course (Charlotte, NC, Mar. 27-31) geared toward working photojournalists and environmental portraiture. These NPPA things are ridiculously cheap, and tend to sell out quickly. (Last year's was $75.00 for all four days of speakers and workshops.) Registration is not open yet, but it pays to keep a watch on the site.
Charlotte, BTW, is starting to come on as a Strobist meetup city: See the recent garage-shoot video, here.
• John Harrington just posted a truckload of new gear videos on his Assignment Construct site. It is becoming clear to me that John is single-handedly supporting the entire photo gear industry at this point. I am thinking his next video will be on how to choose the best U-Haul trailer to carry it all.
UPDATE: John has a great video, from the photog's perspective, on covering Bush's last State of the Union Address last night, posted here.
• Long range planning, I will be teaching long-form, multi-day seminars in Dubai (UAE) in late April / early May. If you are in that area of the world (Dubai is an easy flight for many) I'd love to see you there. There are others teaching -- people you will most definitely want to see -- but if I told you about them now, I'd have to kill you. More details coming soon.
New to Strobist? Start here | Or jump right to Lighting 101
Connect w/Strobist readers via: Words | Photos
Got a question? Hit me on Twitter: @Strobist
Save Money: Browse MPEX Weekly Strobist Deals