DON'T MISS: Italian conceptual portrait photographer Sara Lando is coming to the US to teach in Atlanta (8/16) and Baltimore (8/23). Highly recommended.

Monday, February 23, 2009

My Daily Ritual: A Nice Steaming Cup of Redux

A lot of people start the day with a cup of hot coffee. I prefer to get my caffeine from Diet Mountain Dew, but you can't really hit that before lunch or you look like an addict. (I can quit any time -- I quit seven times last year alone.)

So, my morning pick-me-up is to cruise over to the Redux blog. It's run by Myles Ashby, and in it he offers a steady stream of published work by the very talented shooters at Redux Pictures.

There is no faster way to grow as a photographer than to consume a steady diet of good photography -- and take the time to try to understand which qualities in those photos appeals to you. I am into location portraiture, so Redux is a great fit for me.

Myles' approach is simple. He scans the tear sheets, runs the pictures all the way across the editorial hole, then tells you who shot them and where they ran.

Redux is a wonderful boutique agency which is part of a network of similarly minded agencies around the world. Bonus: If you do a little clicking through on the main site, you'll probably end up looking at cool photography until 3:00 a.m., like I did the first time I explored those links.

The Redux Blog is 100% photography -- like opening the fridge in the summer and scooping out the center of the watermelon and leaving the part with all the seeds for everyone else. In fact, the only way it could be better (for me) is if Myles spent a few paragraphs on each post breaking down the lighting.

But I'm a niche market. And besides, I have been talking with a couple of Redux shooters about just that. More TK.


Link: Redux Blog

(Photos by Robyn Twomey [top] and Tom Wagner.)

-30-


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

17 Comments:

Anonymous Dirk said...

Thanks for link. I will DEFINITELY be adding it my daily intake of photog, (if its good for you to look at, its Great for me).

And I cannot agree with you more, that looking and taking in aspects of good photography is the best thing you can do when not taking a bunch of pictures.

February 23, 2009 12:19 AM  
Blogger françois said...

Thank you David, great link. It's a pleasure to be digging in the redux site until three in the morning...

February 23, 2009 4:02 AM  
Anonymous Pete said...

Actually, I find it quite easy to 'hit' the 'Dew in the morning.

I simply create a breakfast version that takes 60-70% 'Dew (or in my case, the generic equiv) and mix in real orange juice.

It's a great combo that I vary depending on the needs of the day. If I know I'm going to be really busy, I'll increase the amount of orange juice.

To me, they taste better together than either does by itself.

Cheers!

February 23, 2009 7:55 AM  
Anonymous Jasmine DeFoore said...

Thanks for writing about our blog! We've been posting tear sheets for 3 years now, hard to believe how quickly the time has flown and how many great spreads we've put up there. It's good to hear that people get inspiration from it.

February 23, 2009 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog link, I have never seen the Redux blog. I so love this age of photography, with one click your entire perspective on photography can be enlightened or expanded with possibilities.

Cheers
Mike

February 23, 2009 8:40 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

Great blog link, I have never seen the Redux blog. I so love this age of photography, with one click your entire perspective on photography can be enlightened or expanded with possibilities.

Cheers
Mike

February 23, 2009 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Steve said...

Hi David!

Check out http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/
The book "The hot shoe diaries" is off to amazon for pre ordering. Its a book about small flashes!
Please write a post on this at your site! =)

Regards
Steve nilsen

February 23, 2009 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OT, but could you clarfiy what you mean with "More TK" at the end of your post? More to come?

McNally uses it too, but I haven't stumbled upon explanation yet...

February 23, 2009 12:15 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Anon,

It's old-school photojournalist jargon for 'more to come'. But, you're only allowed to use it if you're rockin' a Domke. ;-)

--
Chris

February 23, 2009 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Cat said...

Man, you weren't kidding. I just got sucked away from my taxes for a few hours into the Redux click-thrus to all their photographers. There is some great work to be found in there...

February 23, 2009 2:26 PM  
Blogger David Young said...

Excellent link David, some superb stuff there

February 23, 2009 3:34 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Oh gosh. I'm totally an addict then, except with the really good stuff, plain old Mountain Dew.

February 23, 2009 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dagnabbit. it's 2:36 AM!

February 24, 2009 5:37 AM  
Blogger Poppa-D said...

David - this is a great resource! I am a commercial photographer in Phoenix and this is going to be a steady stream of incredible information for me [hurries to finish comment to get back to Redux so I can figure out how to fly an ultralight with Canadian Geese]. ;-)

February 24, 2009 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Jasmine DeFoore said...

For those of you on facebook, we also add all of our blog posts to the Redux fb page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-York-NY/Redux-Pictures/11983717514

February 24, 2009 2:36 PM  
Blogger Ori W. said...

Ah, so weird. I thought that guy in the first picture looked familiar.

I went to grade school with his son and daughter.

Haven't thought about them for a long time.

Great article too. :)

February 25, 2009 1:36 AM  
Anonymous Rob Jaudon said...

David,

Thanks for the link....jeesh...talk about a little inspiration. Redux has great stuff.

February 25, 2009 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home