LATEST FEATURE: On Assignment: Ben Lurye

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Working Around the House

[UPDATE: Results from the shoot-your-own-sales-brochure experiment -- the house received multiple offers over the asking price and sold quickly. Twice, actually, as the first buyers had some trouble putting the financing together at the last moment.

Advice: If you are a decent photographer and are selling your house, most definitely help it to stand out from the competition by spending a day shooting photos of it for your real estate ad. And consider creating a website of your own to really show it off.]

__________

I have been playing architectural photographer this week for a new blog I am working on.

This blog will have one post, and is designed to do one thing -- help us sell our house in a down market.

I have a separate post about the mechanics putting together a blog/brochure. It is mostly designed for general consumption, as I think the idea has worked out really well and might get a little play as a house-selling strategy.

But this lighting post details the problem solving on some of the photos I shot, because any readers heading to the other post for the general real estate / recession stuff probably would not understand our interest in the lighting end of it.

(Heathens...)

Architectural Digest on the cheap, after the jump.
__________


Some General Stuff

Some of the techniques were the same throughout the shoot, which happened over Monday and Tuesday of this week. I had shot some available light stuff earlier, when the daffodils were more in bloom. But most of the lighting pix were done over a couple of days, along with the gazillion other things you have to do to sell your house.

No umbrellas of softboxes were used. Not that I was trying to avoid them. But a Flickr commenter pointed it out after the fact, and I found it interesting. That was mostly a function of lack of space. I was hiding flashes everywhere, and bare lights are smaller. Ceilings (and sometimes walls and doors) were my bounce cards.

No tripods were involved either, which is a little unusual for architectural stuff.

Why? Because Chuck Norris don't need no stinkin' tripod... No, actually, I was working off of an ambient base for most of the shots, and I needed an appropriate exposure to let daylight work as a contributory light source. Mostly pretty comfy handheld range.

Everything was done with two-to-six SB-800's, a D3 and a Nikon small-chip 12-24. That's not a typo, either -- that 12-24 is my FX format wide zoom. It covers full FX frame down to 19mm. I would get an FX-format 14-24, but I simply cannot be trusted with a lens that wide.

Strobe triggering was done optically. That is to say that each shot started with some kind of on-camera flash for fill, which triggered all off-camera SB-800's in SU-4 mode.
__________


Let's start in the living room, shall we?

This picture (final seen up top) is built on the ambient coming through the doors at back right, and the lamps in the room. The ambient exposure is a compromise to pull all three of those continuous light sources in as best as possible. This is a late shot with no flash, and I think I may have opened the ambient up half a stop or so from this level. But you can get the idea.

There are four flashes -- two fill and two accent. I lit the room up to about one stop down with two flashes aimed at the ceiling -- one on camera and one out of frame at camera right.

One accent flash (also camera right) brought the couch and painting up to full exposure from a hard angle. It was a snooted, bare flash. The other accent is hiding behind the tree on the ground playing a little subtle pattern on the ceilings.

Why? No logical reason. Just to do it for a little interest. Kinda like no-underwear Wednesdays.

Exposures? Flash power? Aperture? Couldn't tell you.

I built the ambient highlights exposure as stated, and filled with the bounce flashes for a good baseline exposure. Then I accent-lit to taste. (If that's a little bit Greek to you, you can read more here.)
__________


Almost forgot about the powder room, as I shot it last month. This is lit, but with on-camera flash. This room is only 3x6 feet, so bounce off of the ceiling is a default choice. The trick is going into vampire mode for the mirror.

The solution is to shoot with a very wide lens, vertical, from a very low position. Keep the camera vertical to keep the lines straight. Use the top part of the frame and you just got yourself a poor-man's shift camera -- no reflection.

The other reflection to watch out for is that of your back wall being nuked by the flash. So I angled the flash a little forward to paint a more pleasing reflection of the back wall in the mirror. (Even still, I smoothed it with a little Gaussian blur.)

Exposure is straightforward, but delicate. Exposure at a reasonable aperture with manual (bounce) flash, then dial in the shutter speed until you get exactly the amount of glow you want from the continuous lights. The walls and floor of such a small room act as fill cards, so the shadows magically fill themselves. You actually have very little choice in the matter.

I left the towel a little rumpled just to not be too anal.
__________


The kitchen had me scratching my head for a few days as I wondered how to light it. I wanted to show the whole room, which had no windows -- and lots of very warm CFLs as light sources.

At first, I did not know where I could hide a flash. And in the end, I wound up hiding five speedlights in the frame -- plus one on-camera aimed at the right wall, to trigger the others and fill the front. The room is entirely lit by hidden speedlights, with the only ambient coming through the back door in the living room at rear.


How do I light thee? Let me count the ways.

1. Main fill / trigger light on camera, as mentioned above.

2. Main light in the room: An SB-800 hidden in the overhead fixture. Nifty, huh?

3. Not so nifty: The flash was wedged in off-center with a diffuser dome, so it threw a cockeyed light pattern onto the ceiling. I disguised this somewhat with another SB low and behind the counter. It was snooted and aimed up at the fixture to splash a more even circle of light around it.

4. My over-sink fluorescent lamp was swapped out for an SB which was duct taped to the near cabinet wall. (We had already packed the gaffer's tape.) A sheet of white paper on the underside of the bottom of the cabinet gave a soft bounce surface. This also lit the fruit bowl nicely.

5. Same thing, over the stove, but no paper needed -- the range hood interior was already white.

6. Last but not least, a flash was stuck in the living room and aimed at the ceiling to bring the whole room up. Sliding door daylight was the basis for the ambient exposure.
__________


Here is where I shot the kitchen from. I made this photo later in the evening (we needed the full dark) with two SB-800s and some road flares that we painted white.

Kidding. The fireplace was lit with a few small candles. We shot in the dark with long exposures and the candles really glowed the place up when we opened up that shutter -- even lit the kindling box nicely.

But now the room has to be lit believably. Again, one SB in the overhead fixture (I later cropped that out, but still a perfectly natural spot for a key light. Problem now is contrast. So I fixed that with a fill strobe bouncing into the kitchen at camera left, which smoothed it all out.

Fill was set a coupla stops down. You can see the ratio on the floor at bottom left. Highlights are key-lit, shadows are fill lit. This is the area that shows you how much fill to dial in. Make it look like your eye sees the room normally. No ratios -- salt to taste.

The room was left just a little dark overall, to let the fireplace sing a little bit. We pretty much bought the house the moment we rounded the corner and saw that kitchen fireplace 17 years ago.
__________


As it starts to get dark on (a rainy) Monday night, Susan asks if I remembered to shoot her garden in the back. Of course I did not remember to shoot it, because I am a total moron during allergy season. So I stepped out onto the deck and saw this mix of tungsten light and deep, foggy twilight.

Okay, technically I only saw the foggy evening and imagined the tungsten light, but I knew I could make it if I worked fast in the last few minutes of light. Before I even go back to get a strobe, I metered an ambient shot and dropped the exposure about two stops down. The color was real -- no tungsten white balance needed.

Working very quickly, I grabbed an SB on a stand with a dome diffuser and stuck a 1/2 CTO on it. (I wanted tungsten the way my eye sees tungsten.) Where to put the light? Heck, I am batting pretty good aping our normal fixtures, so I went to the well again. I put it on a stand right next to our deck light, which is on the house edge of the deck, in the middle.

I powered my warmed-up flash to balance the ambient with a couple of test shots and it looked great -- except the shadows were too contrasty. That's easy enough to fix, quick and dirty, with a two-stop-down on-camera flash. It looks great when you are using it to erase contrast with off-axis light. (More on that here.)

If you look at the deck shot bigger, it looks very crisp and 3-D, but legible everywhere. I was rushing fast (gotta get the garden with the last bit of light) but with a little time I would have prolly dropped the fill ratio a bit. Just a matter of taste, tho.
__________


The waning foggy light made the garden look lush, if a little flat. And the garden was way darker then the grass in back. So with the last bit of twilight I grabbed an ambient (somewhere in the 1/4 - 1/2 second range) and exposed for the grass.

A little on-camera fill with the flash zoomed way tighter than the lens gave me a nice center-vignette, and I underexposed that a stop or so. Then I grabbed my stand flash and pulled the dome and gel off for some off-axis light. It came from the far corner of the deck at camera left and was aimed just past the center to feather the key a little.

The ratios are very tight, but even so the two lights bring the garden up to the level of the grass in a very sharp, 3-D way. Bare light sources do that very well, but you do have to keep your fill levels in mind. (Here for bigger.)
__________


Among the fifteen shots I did for the house brochure, this detail of the library master bath shower area went very quickly. It is white-on-white, so again the exposure is delicate. But that is not to say it is difficult.

Bathrooms are just big softboxes -- and you work inside the box. The key light is an SB on a stand in the shower behind the curtain. Aim it at the back right wall and you have a nice, soft source. But even in an all-white room, the fact that the key is behind the curtain means the shadows will be too deep.

An Orbis made quick work of that. Just dial up the fill light in manual mode to taste -- chimp and go. That way, you can keep the whites white, and have just as much contrast range as you want. The ring light fill adds no directional light signature, either.
__________


The last one I am going to mention was a little bit of a challenge to work through. Ben's room is only about 10' x 11', and the loft bed soaks up a lot of that.

Note the two-toned rails on the right side. We had to augment this design after he fell out of bed during the middle of the night. (That'll wake everyone in the house up quickly...) We still have not stained and poly'd the extra rails yet, but he is pretty much in jail up there.

Problem is, there is just no place to hide a flash in here, and my goal is a lit/natural balance. So this one was a little bit of a head-scratcher, too.

The exposure was based on the light streaming in through the window, or more accurately, what that light was doing in the back of the room. No leaves on the tree yet, so the view is not worth saving. Thus, I could let the window blow out a little and also grab some under-bed ambient from the desk lamp.

Now, to build the rest of the frame with flash, but only up to a ratio that looks like normal room light the way your eye sees it. Fill on the far left was from a stand-mounted flash, up high tucked into the corner of the small room. The wall was blue, so we had to correct the bounce color by taping up a shoot of newspaper to get it neutral.

If you ever need to fix the color of the splash your flash makes on the wall, newspapers are a pretty easy fix. For a few more years, anyway.

The other side fill was easier, once I realized that the open closet door out of frame at camera right made a great big reflective light panel when you shot a flash into it. The trick was not overdoing either of the fill lights.

This picture is an rarity in the Hobby household, as we have not actually seen Ben's carpet in several years. It is usually covered in about two feet of Legos, most recently Technics and Mindstorms. He builds these weird robots and vehicles and is teaching himself the programming.

He is even trying to blog a little bit (all by himself, as you can see) but I think we need to work on the "actually developing content" part. To be fair, I must say that his site is better than my blog was at 8-yrs-old.

I digress.

That's it for the lighting stuff. I am working on a more general-audience post on the "buy my house" pseudo-blog idea, which will go up shortly. One more thing, which I will not be mentioning in that post:

If anyone within the sound of this post actually ends up buying the joint, you'd better believe there will be a full Starving Student light kit (with an SB-26) a boxed set of Lighting DVDs and a case of cold, delicious Diet Mountain Dew left behind when we move out.

Just reveal your secret decoder ring flash status after we agree on a price.



__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

51 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey Byrnes said...

You have definitely done a fantastic job of lighting the rooms. I am impressed. Great work. I think the one of the kitchen is awesome! I also like the mood created on the deck.

April 23, 2009 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Ian said...

Given the way prices of used SB flashes have jumped in the last couple of years, it might be cheaper to just buy your house to get that SB-26.

April 23, 2009 1:03 AM  
Anonymous Jamie Maldonado said...

This is all very cool, and will no doubt inspire attempts at lighting my own living quarters for practice very soon. Also, this gave me the idea to volunteer for shooting some hospital-related photos for a future family member. I'll definitely share those if they come out right ...

April 23, 2009 1:53 AM  
Blogger Bugi said...

Ben might be on to something there. He surely had a nice start when his dad advertised his blog on to millions of readers around the globe.

You interior shots looked great, but I'm not liking the one otdoor shot by the deck. Looks like a normal shot to me.

April 23, 2009 1:59 AM  
Anonymous james bruce said...

Really great shots. My main gig is real estate stuff and I would love to get to spend the kind of time that you did on your house. Mostly I get about 40 minutes, and flash mounted on a bracket. One of the things I have begun to do recently is to take advantage of the sb-900s light amber gel with the cfls. When used with the auto setting on d700 they are a bit cool but the colors get really close most of the time with the in-camera daylight setting. Good post as always David

April 23, 2009 3:23 AM  
Anonymous Catalin said...

Hi David,

That's a very interesting "real-world" lighting post. We've just moved into a new house in sunny/hot Dubai and friends have been asking for photos of the place. So over the next week I think I'll be using your tips to try and get a bit creative with photographing the place instead of just sending them some quick snaps.

April 23, 2009 3:25 AM  
Blogger pete said...

David, excellent post. Quick question, why not use a monobloc for the larger rooms and bounce off the ceiling then add accents with your speedlights? When I think architectural photography, I instinctively think "big lights" and ceiling bounce.

April 23, 2009 3:34 AM  
Blogger Pat Morrissey said...

David, dude - all the very best for a stress-free transaction. Hope the house sells quickly and for the right price.
Loved this post and the links to PFRE sites.

April 23, 2009 4:04 AM  
Anonymous arun said...

Great Idea - I hope you sell soon and at least break even. Your site has been great resource to so many. Thanks again

April 23, 2009 7:34 AM  
Anonymous Lou Janelle said...

I think you have the beginnings of a new DVD on architectural photography.

Time to take photos of my own home ...

Thank you,

Lou

April 23, 2009 7:45 AM  
Anonymous george said...

No shots of the exterior?? I would think you would want to document the "curb appeal" and a shot back from the back yard.

April 23, 2009 8:32 AM  
Anonymous Stroboholic said...

What, no link back to Strobist on Ben's blog? Travesty! :D If blogging's in the genes, he's got a killer future ahead of him!

April 23, 2009 8:49 AM  
Anonymous photo ole said...

This is an informative and timely post. Your tutorial may start the next housing boom! Please explain how you used newspaper to reduce the blue bounce. Thank you and good luck.

April 23, 2009 9:06 AM  
Anonymous photo ole said...

Oh, I think I got it. You taped the newspaper to the wall and pointed a flash at the newspaper. Right?

April 23, 2009 9:10 AM  
Blogger John said...

Awesome post! If these shots don't sell your house, I don't know what will.

What I really like most about how you chose to light the rooms in your house, is that its believable (if you weren't a fellow Strobist) that all the rooms were lit with the available light fixtures.

Great stuff! If my house wasn't so fugly, I'd try some of these techniques. As it is, I wouldn't dream of subjecting the rest of the world to it. ;)

April 23, 2009 11:03 AM  
Blogger Don said...

David, instead of a Google Map have you thought about adding a Walk Score map.

http://www.walkscore.com/

Hope you get your house sold quickly, I'm looking forward to getting back to your monobloc story ...I'm selfish like that :)

April 23, 2009 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Shaun Yasaki said...

Fantastic write up. I found this really interesting. I've struggled with similar situation. Your use of speedlights is surprisingly subtle.

I'd love to see more real-world posts like this!

April 23, 2009 11:14 AM  
Blogger Ryan M said...

Great post! Please do write something else about how you put together your house blog and how you are marketing it. I will actually be doing something similar soon and would love to steal this idea. It was very well put together.

April 23, 2009 1:02 PM  
Blogger Tim D. said...

Great photos! Thanks for the tutorial! On the newspaper thing... Are you aiming the strobe at the newspaper and bouncing off it?

April 23, 2009 1:53 PM  
Blogger Bill Morgan said...

A nice compliment to your flash units for a project like this is the Digital Mini Slave Wide made by the Morris Co.

These are small and round and fit in the palm of your hand. Great for placing in about any location. Smaller than a speedlite but powerful. Easy to gel and/or put an ND filter on them to control output.

April 23, 2009 1:59 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

First, I love this post. But as someone who doesn't have half a dozen speedlights to work with, I'm wondering how I would still light the kitchen in an attractive way with only one speedlight to work with.

April 23, 2009 3:24 PM  
Blogger fairminded said...

Put some fresh FLOWERS around in the house before you reshoot and when it shows ...

April 23, 2009 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Chicago photographer said...

Nice work keeping the accents subtle. That garden looks really nice!

April 23, 2009 4:32 PM  
Blogger David said...

@Joe-

You just have to improvise a little. Use whatcha got, and figure it out!

April 23, 2009 5:02 PM  
Blogger nathanoj said...

Hey - you're using the techniques that a bunch of us over at http://www.flickr.com/groups/photographyforrealestate learned from that Hobby fellow! ;-)

Check http://www.flickr.com/groups/photographyforrealestate/discuss/72157617208612166/ to see how you did.

The reality of realty (ahem) shooting is getting in & out in an hour. The Strobist philosophy of small remote strobes, found bounce surfaces and minimal gripipment (patent pending) suit these time constraints. Thank you David for your influence on my job :-)

April 23, 2009 5:09 PM  
Anonymous Tim Rogan said...

Woe, now. SB-800s. I think I remember you poo-poo'ed them in your DVD.

April 23, 2009 5:26 PM  
Blogger Wink of an eye Digital said...

Well great job

you dunn good.

It was great guessing the lights on the shots as they came out....a little sidebar Flickr fun stuff (hey I was right on the deck ey? LOL)

Your use of the new blog to sell your house will inspire all of us out here to help someone maybe in the same "market problem" as you find yourself.

May be some work in for networking or hey... fees! You gave everyone a good template

Wink

PS Dood! give back Ogals couch now that your moving.

April 23, 2009 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,

Thanks for this 'Architectural Digest' style post. I have been shooting for some apartment communities lately, and the extra info on how you did each shot always helps me think of new ways to light my subjects. I would like to see more posts like this one if you can squeeze them in!

I have a series of shots with my setup info on my flicker page at:

Dolch's Flickr PageThere are several examples sprinkled throughout my page (including food photography and other stuff I shoot with strobist info).

Please feel free to check out some of my techniques and leave a comment if you like it! (Or if you don't.)

:D

Cheers,

Adam Dolch

April 23, 2009 6:40 PM  
Blogger Joey Shemuel said...

Did you have to fix any distortion from the 12-24 @ 19mm? I always find myself doing a little bit of perspective/distort/warp in CS4 when I'm working in architectural spaces.

In any event, the photos look awesome. I want to get another SB-something to play around with.

April 23, 2009 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I have been working my way through Strobist 101 and I am amazed at how generous you are with your knowledge and secrets.  Keeping with the spirit of being a fellow photographer and maintaining karmic reciprocity, I'll offer you the following real estate advice:

I'll preface my comments by informing you that I have been working in commercial real estate finance for 15 years, but I don't mess with residential; too emotional for me.  That said, I can tell you that the residential market is still very much a buyers market and that lenders are returning to the market with a new rule book of underwriting and much trepidation. Make sure you don't fuck around with a buyer who is not fully approved by a credible bank.  If you have an interested buyer and they offer you some lame prequal. letter, be very careful.  They (and the dirty realtors) will maintain that you have nothing to worry about because these buyers are gold plated borrowers, blah, blah, blah (lots of realtors are having a hard time keeping up with their trophy spouse and the Hummer payment).  

Tell them you either:
1)  ...want proof of a "commitment letter" signed by a real loan officer at a real bank and/or;
2)  conduct the following litmus test: tell them (and the realtor) that if they are so sure about the prequal letter then you (the seller) want $5000 non-refundable earnest money if that specific prequal letter falls through.  Be very specific in your verbiage.  Make sure you say something like, Buyer asserts that BunchofThieves Bank Corp has issued a pre-qualification letter to Jane and Joe Smith.  Buyer J&J Smith acknowledge that if BunchofThieves Bank Corp can not or will not convert the attached "prequal" letter to a fully executed commitment letter by ((date)) then seller retains the full financing contingency deposit of $5000. 

CYA Disclaimer.  I am neither a Maryland licensed mortgage banker, nor am I a Maryland State attorney.  The above advice should be used at your own risk and I can not be held responsible for any potential negative outcome relating to the above advice. If I offended any realtors, good, I intended to do so! 

Good luck with the sale and thank you for the ongoing lighting help.

April 23, 2009 8:37 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I'd be intrigued at the end of this process (hopefully very quickly!) what your Google Analytics figures are for referring sites - how many people arrived from sources other than Strobist.

Of course given your readership there's probably a decent chance an existing reader might be the buyer.

Good luck with it, and thanks - as always - for creating and maintaining such a fantastic resource. The money you have directly help Strobists save and earn could probably buy your house multiple times over.

April 24, 2009 7:26 AM  
Blogger Mattograph said...

Thanks for a great post, as always. At first glance, these struck me as great photos, but not great real estate marketing photos. The rule of thumb for most real estate is bright and clean -- mood general doesn't work well. As I thought about it, though, these photos, added in the context of a blog, might actually prove to be a cut above. Providing a frame of reference to each room with the photo is what probably allows you to "break the rules" and will make these very useful. On another note, if it doesn't sell in a week, and you are looking for some additional content, check out animoto.com. Their videos are easy to produce and extremely blog friendly. Something fun to do if you run out of something to right about. Example here: http://animoto.com/play/whgGJgXynXmIjQ1s1jUBpQ. Good luck!

April 24, 2009 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you only have one flash but need light in different places there is a solution. Put the camera on a tripod and use only manual settings and a remote shutter release. Use the flash to light the first place. Move the flash and light the next dark bit. Continue until all the lighting is done. Open all the images in Photoshop. With the pointer tool selected and the Shift key held down (to align each image) drag each image onto the first image. You'll end up with a stack of layers, each featuring one of your flash positions. Change the blend mode of each layer (except the background layer) to Lighten. You should see the room lit as if you had several flashes. Note that this needs everything to stay still so it won't work with skateboarders.

Gordon Saunders

April 24, 2009 11:21 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

Another thing that also works is HDR but colors look slightly off when you do this. Easier than using a bunch of flashes sometimes ;-)

April 24, 2009 5:18 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Beautiful porch, David. So inviting - spacious yet cozy.

Ben Madden

April 24, 2009 6:59 PM  
Blogger Sergei Rodionov said...

Thanks for sharing lighting tips once , David.

Pity about house, though. 17 years of life.

April 25, 2009 1:10 AM  
Blogger Jason Anderson said...

The work here is amazing Dave - good luck with the sale. I just did quick snapshot work on the house last year, but did the same thing with a dedicated blog of the address. Even then, and with the crappy pics, the house sold in 3 months!

http://www.124stphillipsrow.com/

April 25, 2009 2:19 AM  
Blogger Brad Wiederholt said...

Great shots. Don't know about your place, but if I had to do this at home, the effort for lighting and shooting would pale in comparison to the effort in cleaning it up! -- Thanks for stepping us through your assignment.

April 26, 2009 1:49 AM  
Anonymous JessieX said...

Brilliant work, idea, thinking, execution. Oh yeah, I forgot, I'm talking about you, Dave. Duh.

Oddly, I like the bathroom shot best. I've been in that room myself, now and again, and it's a sweet little space. The picture captures the feeling.

Hey, remember to sell the neighborhood, too. That little row of houses is a magical spot. I'm sure your neighbors will be sad to see you and your family leave. And I'm betting you'll sell it -- and quickly -- to wonderful new owner.

April 26, 2009 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Arpad said...

David, your tutorials of using small strobes was very helpful when I began doing my first architectural photos. It is actually good to read this post and see how applying those ideas to architectural photography led me to very similar ideas that you are posting here.
Your tutorials are excellent!

April 27, 2009 9:59 PM  
Blogger kevkos said...

You made it to consumerist.com

http://consumerist.com/5226694/sell-your-house-with-well+lit-photos

April 28, 2009 2:12 AM  
Anonymous Eric said...

lots of good info here, thanks for writing all of this up.

April 29, 2009 12:36 AM  
Blogger Max said...

It might suck when the house your wife falls in love with is on something like 'Sissyview Lane' instead of something totally bad like Broken Staff.

April 29, 2009 9:27 AM  
Blogger James E. Davis said...

David,
I was excited to read your blogs concerning the sale of your house. Not only because of the great information contained in them (as usual) but also because I feel that I might be able to pay back a little of the help you have given me as a photographer over the last 2 plus years.
I am a sustainable building consultant who recently moved to Brasil and do a lot of drawing using Google Sketchup. I could not resist the chance to draw your home to scale based on your measurements and what I could derive from your photos. It is not perfect, I had to make assumptions about the stairs and some other details I could not quite figure out. I have uploaded 3 drawings to my flickr account that show the floorplans and dimensions as best as I could guess. If you have time to mark them up with corrections, I will make the changes and model your home for you. It's the least I can do for you as you have taught me so much about off camera light.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45187681@N00/

(I wish I knew how to imbed a link... anyone???)

Best of luck,

Jim Davis

April 29, 2009 7:47 PM  
Anonymous subham said...

excellent post. Quick question, we have to use speedlights

May 04, 2009 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know much about photography, but on the subject of selling houses, I helped my parents shoot some video of the property which I set to music. We played that on a loop on the TV so that when people came in, there was soft music in the background and 'points of interest' to checkout around the property.

May 06, 2009 2:25 AM  
Blogger Derek Shane said...

Hey, great blog. I'm trying to duplicate your layout but i'm having a bit of trouble with the sidebar information. I deleted the links and all but can't quite figure out the HTML for just having my categories with the list. I want 'School Districts' and then list the 3 schools...any help? Also, how did you add in the little blurb about 'Click here to see larger image', under the images? Thats a pretty great add-on. Any help from anyone would be great and feel free to email me at derekshanefotos@gmail.com..thank you so much and HELP ASAP!!!!

May 18, 2009 12:35 AM  
Blogger J.R. Farrar said...

Interesting blog post that is related to the real estate photogs.

http://blogs.photopreneur.com/real-estate-photographers-get-a-raise-out-of-the-recession

June 17, 2009 11:37 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

I've tried to apply many of the same techniques to shooting a large sailboat that a friend is selling. Cramped spaces, lots of shiny mahogany and only 2 speedlights added to the challenge, but still a decent outcome. See the results at
http://www.delphis.weebly.com

Still a lot to learn here so I'll be giving it another try and posting updates soon.

July 29, 2009 3:17 PM  
Blogger Ameed said...

Hi David,
Thanks allot for the generous of sharing your knowledge and the how to's. I hope it was sold fast and for the right price.
I am putting my houuse for sale shortly, Just need to build few decent pictures,
Thank you for your post.

September 22, 2009 3:24 PM  
Blogger John said...

I read these articles on selling your home when they were first posted. I recently wrote one of my own with some similar information. You might want to check it out if you get the time.

http://www.shaverstudios.com/5-techniques-for-more-appealing-architectural-photography

January 31, 2010 1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home