Thursday, March 03, 2011

Field Trip: Mumbai, India with Martin Prihoda


It's not often we get to point to something really cool in such a complete and illuminating way.

Not so long ago, photographer Martin Prihoda left the relative safety of a comfortable life in Vancouver (seriously, who leaves Vancouver?) to transplant his photography career to India.

Hit the jump for a BTS vid on the Cosmo cover above -- and links to two posts which show you his path to that moment.
__________




If you have just watched the video above, I can guess what some of you might be thinking:

Cosmo model, a four-digit light modifier and a camera that probably cost as much as my car. How does this relate to me?

Actually, Martin does a pretty good job of connecting the dots for you on his own excellent blog Atomic Safari -- which I highly recommend RSS'ing. To that end, I offer two of Martin's posts (which will pop up in new windows for ease of back-and-forth navigation):


1. My Greatest Photography Milestone
2. The Power of Visualization


There you go.

So you can just sit there and be happy (or unhappy) with the way things are right now, or you can decide to change things up / grow / radically recast your life as a photographer.

You'll never see the transitions described more starkly than in the two posts above. And if you want a look at what Martin was doing back in his Vancouver days, check out this earlier post with a BTS video of him shooting Delerium.
__________

Next: Miller Mobley: Chaplain


__________

Brand new to Strobist? Start here | Or jump right to Lighting 101
Connect w/Strobist readers via: Words | Photos


Comments are closed. Question? Hit me on Twitter: @Strobist

16 Comments:

Blogger R. J. and Nicole Kern said...

I WAS inspired by your keen and sharp intellect... as we all know this isn't an amateur game once you hit it big time. To take the time to share, inspires me to say the least... kudos, photographer Sensei! You've got some killer tech knowledge the ADs will relate to and us photogs wish YOU were our photography teachers in university. Thank you for sharing, Martin!

March 03, 2011 2:00 AM  
Blogger Bernhard A S said...

Martin had an amazing workshop at November 2010 GPP. It contained even more life coaching than your workshop in March.

He is sparkling with positive energy because he radiates that he loves what he is doing.

I was very happy to have met him as a person.

March 03, 2011 4:31 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Now how's that for some inspirational reading.

Tonight I go outside and ambient balance!

Thanks

March 03, 2011 5:31 AM  
Blogger Ted said...

You can't experience reward without a comparable risk, both materially and emotionally. Great post. I'm gonna check out his blog.

March 03, 2011 6:58 AM  
Blogger Ciaran De Bhal said...

Impressive. There's a man at peace with himself and his one world, before he even takes a picture. Something to aspire to...

Ciaran

March 03, 2011 8:12 AM  
Blogger Tony Johnson said...

My best takeaway from the vid was seeing a hair drier used to fan the hair. I'm sure that has been suggested before but I never thought of using one until seeing this. A great idea in the winter when a blast of warm air would be so much nicer for my subjects than a cooling fan!

March 03, 2011 11:37 AM  
Blogger Ziv said...

For a moment there, I thought he was channeling the late Dean Collins.

March 03, 2011 11:38 AM  
Blogger John-Paul said...

Inspiration and a kick in the butt at the same time - just what I needed this time of year!

March 03, 2011 2:42 PM  
Blogger Debbi_in_California said...

Great post!
This reminds me, did you ever get your Paul Buff Parabolic? I would think they would be back in stock by now?
This could be done with Buff's setup, right?
Debbi

March 03, 2011 3:14 PM  
Blogger George said...

So this photographer travels all the way to India to shoot against a seamless white backdrop.

Seems like a waste of an amazing country.

March 03, 2011 7:54 PM  
Blogger David said...

@George-

You might want to look into more of Martin's work before making such a spectacularly uninformed comment like that.

#JustSayin

March 04, 2011 12:20 AM  
Blogger David said...

@Debbi-

Yep, and I love it. And I have used it for that purpose, and posted on it.

March 04, 2011 12:21 AM  
Blogger Tom Legrady said...

A YouTube clip about cameras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwtFsmz6J44

Tom Legrady

March 04, 2011 1:49 PM  
Blogger Saj said...

thanks for sharing that David, I'm commenting cos as I saw the homepage I recognized the model!

Before anyone thinks she's Indian, she's Miss Sri Lanka :) and I'm Sri Lankan, so yeah, close to heart and very proud of her :)

March 05, 2011 11:33 AM  
Blogger Michael Comeau said...

Here's an awesome behind-the-scenes post from Brad Trent, centering around a big editorial shot for Barron's::

http://damnuglyphotography.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/behind-the-scenes-at-the-2011-barrons-roundtable-part-one/

March 08, 2011 8:56 AM  
Blogger planb said...

Love the pictures! and love the place! ..Infact he's talking at the same place that i buy my magazines every month from !!

March 11, 2011 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home