Friday, March 08, 2013

2013 GPP Shootout Challenge: Photograph Greg Heisler


The Gulf Photo Plus 2013 Shootout just concluded, and boy was it a doozy.

The challenge: make a portrait of Greg Freakin' Heisler, soup to nuts, in front of 350 people in 20 mins flat. No pressure there.

Major props to John Keatley, who managed to not crack under the pressure and actually make a portrait of Heisler that was consistent with the slightly off-center Keatley style.

Completely seriously, I want a 16x20 of this for the Strobist Cave.

And here's the thing: Keatley didn't even win it. This year's winner was Zack Arias, who suffice to say has a brass pair for what he did. You'll definitely want to watch the video when it comes out.

Whatever you have to do to get to Dubai for GPP, make it happen.

-30-


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

8 Comments:

Blogger Heather Nilson said...

I am so impatient for the video now! And in preparation for next year, I'm going to start convincing myself right now that I can afford a trip to Dubai in 2014 if I set my mind to it.

March 08, 2013 2:03 PM  
Blogger oldwolf said...

Can't wait to see the video. I look forward to it every year. :)

March 08, 2013 9:14 PM  
Blogger Sara Lando said...

I was sitting in the audience and the tension to me was almost unbearable. I can't imagine what being up there must be. It was AWESOME.

March 09, 2013 12:11 AM  
Blogger Tillie said...

I had to leave GPP two days early and was so bummed to miss the shoot out. It's the highlight of week for me. Anxiously awaking in Lagos, Nigeria.

From, "another Mom with a camera" that knows how to work the strobes.

March 09, 2013 1:58 AM  
Blogger El Che said...

David,

Yesterday's shoot-out was hilarious, not-the-least thanks to Heisler's himself commenting on the process and to your & McNally's heckling.

Though I did think that you were way too soft with Lindsay Adler.

I have to say that Zack did steal the show both with his entrance and subsequent dance moves as well as with the winning photo.

Really hard to believe that he was not prepared for this...

Looking forward to GPP 2014! This is a world-class get-together with nothing similar anywhere else. There were people coming from Australia and the US...

March 09, 2013 3:53 AM  
Blogger alexdpx said...

So sad I had to miss this. I had to rush to the airport right after your Speedlite Bootcamp. Now I'm waiting for the GPP guys to upload the videos.

Congratulations to Zack for winning the challenge.

March 09, 2013 1:47 PM  
Blogger Stained said...

@Sara Lando ... Being Zack's assistant up there hand holding that flash... I was so freaked out. Was concentrating so hard making sure I didn't move my hand and mess the shot up. Scary stuff but totally worth it!!! ^_^

March 10, 2013 4:12 PM  
Blogger El Che said...

@Stained:

Funny you said this because a couple of friends and I, sitting in the room, were thinking the same thing. Specially when you actually lowered your hand a little bit and the test shots began showing very uneven light on Heisler's face.

But then Zack's nudged the flash back up in the right position and the last shot was saved!

The person whose shoes I didn't want to be in, was the young lady trying to get Zack's camera tethered to the laptop.... THAT must have been stressful!

March 12, 2013 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home