Friday, September 13, 2013

Wait! It's Not What it Looks Like!



That's pretty much what I had to tell my wife, the first time she saw this baby in my basement.

And yeah, I do know what it looks like. Doesn't help that it has the words "Wizard Stick" printed on the other side of it, either.

But actually, this thing is a hand-held, AA-powered fog machine. Yeah it is…
__________


I saw it on Amazon and I couldn't resist. It was $30, and even came with some fog juice. Free shipping. Impulse purchase. Bam.




No, it won't replace a full-blown fogger. But what it will do is give you a pretty decent (think "cigar" amount) dose of very localized smoke for a portrait if you're in an enclosed area. Plus, it runs on 6 AAs. How convenient is that?

I was gonna shoot it running for a second pic, but this Amazon product shot pretty much shows you what it will do. And doesn't look bong-y at all, right?

Seriously, all that photo needs is a black light, a peace poster and a price tag of $4.20. (People who bought the "Wizard Stick" also purchased ... Doritos!)

It's got 3.5 stars on 15 reviews, and mine has been working just fine. But there definitely appears to be a hit-or-miss factor going on. The reviews are more good than bad but I think mostly you have to realize this not gonna produce a lot of smoke and is not something you'll will to your grandkids.

But for the occasional "I need a little atmosphere for this tight portrait" I am thinking the Wizard Stick will work just fine. So I thought I'd pass it around.


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

28 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I honestly don't know what it's supposed to look like.

September 13, 2013 8:48 AM  
Blogger Deb & Mike Cohen said...

In over 3 years I don't ever remember laughing out loud before while reading a Strobist post.

September 13, 2013 8:48 AM  
Blogger Joel Miedema said...

Well now I just want to see what you're going to use it for! Please remember to post photos!

September 13, 2013 9:26 AM  
Blogger Peter MacDonald said...

Pass it around? I see what you did there

September 13, 2013 9:33 AM  
Blogger Mike Mahoney said...

LOL!! That is exactly what I thought when I first opened your post! Peace, man.

September 13, 2013 10:31 AM  
Blogger Dave6163 said...

Is it noisy? You know like a bubbling sound?

September 13, 2013 11:30 AM  
Blogger Rodrigo Feijó said...

i was looking for something like this! cheers for the tip man, and please do show us some results if you feel like it!!! thanks

September 13, 2013 11:35 AM  
Blogger JS said...

"This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za7bHIKsxc4

September 13, 2013 11:35 AM  
Blogger Kemp Howland said...

Far out! I'm thinking ten or fifteen of these in strategic positions around the subject and you've got a mystical London fog effect. Can't wait to try it!

September 13, 2013 1:10 PM  
Blogger Deej said...

It doesn't actually seem like a good value, when you can get a real fog machine for $5 more (plus liquid): http://www.amazon.com/Chauvet-Hurricane-700-Fog-Machine/dp/B0002D0JX8/

September 13, 2013 1:18 PM  
Blogger Barry Frankel Photography said...

Dude!

September 13, 2013 1:46 PM  
Blogger JMLedy said...

"In over 3 years I don't ever remember laughing out loud before while reading a Strobist post."

Yes indeed!!!

September 13, 2013 2:29 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Well, I have just been looking at this last few days and wondering if it is the fog solution I have been looking for. I really did just wanted something small and tight because I don't do a lot of large-scale work but I thought maybe it would be too gimmicky. The portability and power source is just ideal for my tastes.

I would love to see some photos made with it because I feel like the reviews and content available online are limited. Glad to have your two cents though.

September 13, 2013 3:38 PM  
Blogger junyo said...

Funny, I was looking at one of those the other day, pondering whether it was worth it. I guess my question would be how much fog can you get out of one? I'd like to lay some diffusion in a small, still air clearing in the woods without waiting for a foggy morning.

@Deej
- I'd think the biggest value is that's it's battery powered, unlike most other cheap ones.

September 13, 2013 4:39 PM  
Blogger tombegasse said...

David, I went to UF too ... I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!
-Tom

September 13, 2013 5:41 PM  
Blogger tombegasse said...

David, I went to UF too, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about!
-Tom

September 13, 2013 5:43 PM  
Blogger Larry Vaughn said...

Is the fog fuel from Columbia or Maui or is it Gainesville Green?

September 13, 2013 6:10 PM  
Blogger Mark Crummett said...

From American Science and Surplus, of course! Always a source of fun stuff!

September 15, 2013 5:11 AM  
Blogger S E S | PHOTOGRAPHY said...

Now this can get interesting, thinking of ways to use this...
thanks Dave.

September 16, 2013 11:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You mean that it's not an ammunition reloading gizmo?

September 16, 2013 2:36 PM  
Blogger Steve Murphy said...

For a $1.30 more you can get this "real" fog machine with 2-day free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Lighting-Machines-EF-400-Machine/dp/B0006M59M6/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

September 16, 2013 3:43 PM  
Blogger Eric the Red said...

This is way off topic of this post. I just read that the new Iphone 5S measures the color temp. of your scene and then adds amber light to the flash light to match when flash is required (I wonder if it can compensate for florescent lights). Should our camera/speedlight combo be endowed with this capability, perhaps as an option? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Eric

September 17, 2013 1:55 AM  
Blogger Neil Alexander said...

Love the last line David. Funny!

September 17, 2013 10:52 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Mmmmkay.... Now I finally know what that funny looking contraption in my son's bedroom drawer is.

September 17, 2013 5:21 PM  
Blogger michael anthony murphy said...

PUFF PUFF PASS!!!

September 18, 2013 8:08 AM  
Blogger Not Me said...

Don't inhale!

September 20, 2013 3:55 PM  
Blogger nopriors said...

Yeah right....

October 02, 2013 6:51 PM  
Blogger PiratenTV said...

I thought it was a bong. And surprise smoke does come out.

October 14, 2013 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home