What's Cooler than a Ninja? Lots of Ninjas.
A little insight into how "A-list" photographers think. Of Chase's video, bear the following thoughts in mind:
• This shoot was not assigned to him by anyone.
• He conceived it, executed it and fronted the costs himself. (With his team, of course.)
• The sole purpose of this job was to make some cool photos and keep the creative juices flowing.
While there is no immediate monetary benefit to doing a shoot like this, consider the downstream benefits for Chase:
• He and his team get the experience of a wonderfully creative afternoon.
• He gets photos that make his portfolio pop with current, cutting edge stuff.
• The photos yielded by the shoot also show his range and ability, meaning creative directors have confidence to hire him for the more traditional shoots.
• Whenever work is available that calls for creative, high-impact photos, Chase stands a better chance of getting those assignments, too.
Not a bad return for an afternoon's work, huh?
Learn more, and even ask Chase a question about ninjas on his blog.
Some of the photos are already integrated into his portfolio: See #'s 12 - 13 here, and #'s 15-17 here.
Other Chase Jarvis videos:
:: Hasselblad Masters Series ::
:: Laptop Uberbriefcase ::
New to Strobist? Start here | Or jump right to Lighting 101
Connect w/Strobist readers via: Words | Photos
Got a question? Hit me on Twitter: @Strobist
Save some cash: Browse the Weekly Deals Page