LATEST: Newly expanded, updated Strobist Gear Guide.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Another Year Passes in a Flash


The last week of the year is special, and one to be taken advantage of. I spend it balancing time between family/friends and looking back at the past year while preparing for the next one.

There are some cool things lined up for 2012 already, but today's post is about looking back. Herewith, the favorite posts of 2011 -- mine, and yours...
__________


2011: My Faves


1. Grabbing the last bit of ambient to freeze a flying Yezek.

2. Everyone's a critic. Here's how to deal with them.

3. A case study in creating a stopper for your portfolio.

4. A living legend pwns two punks in the desert.

5. They are going to ask you this. How you respond makes all of the difference.

6. Controlling a large scene with two speedlights.

7. Chris Waind's epic symphonic compositions.

8. A fill light fit for a queen.

9. Proof that the Einsteins can hang with the big dawgs.

10. Imitation as a path to innovation.
__________


2011: Your Faves

Starting a couple of years ago, I began to include in the end-of-year list your favorite posts -- or at least your most-read ones. These are straight out of my Google Analytics reports, and only include posts written in 2011. (Otherwise the Lighting 101 series would dominate this every year, with over 3,500 people starting that course every day.)

So in reverse order, here are your most-read posts of 2011:


Third place: Mike Kelley works large-scale magic with a speedlight, time and lots of Photoshop layers.

Second place: The only post which made both lists.

First place: Wherein your status as a group of gear heads is confirmed.
__________


Whether through the blog, via Twitter or in person, thanks for all of the fun and camaraderie in 2011.

We'll see you in a few days. Don't celebrate too hard this Saturday night.


__________

Brand new to Strobist, or lighting? Start here.
Or, jump right into our free Lighting 101 course.
Connect: Discussion Threads | Reader Photos | Twitter

9 Comments:

Blogger Sean F. Roney said...

Thank you for another year of awesome writing! One of my favorites was dealing with criticism. While gearhead posts are fun, what many of us need to know are the sociology-type items.

December 26, 2011 3:07 PM  
Blogger Mike Kelley said...

Wow! I am absolutely shocked, humbled and beyond excited. I let out a big OMG as soon as I saw the list. Thank you so much David, and everyone who sent me comments or emails. I'm so glad that people found it interesting, and hopefully were inspired to try out new methods of working with limited gear to tackle big projects.

December 26, 2011 3:09 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

Basically off topic, but the moire in the lead image is almost hypnotic as I scroll through this post. :)

I can only imagine how that would have looked on newsprint.

December 26, 2011 3:25 PM  
Blogger Ciaran De Bhal said...

Hello David, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Thank you sincerely for Strobist and all the hardworking you put into it. I really look forward to each posting.
Unfortunately yourself and Mr. McNally didn't make it to Ireland on the Flash Bus tour, but my better half did buy the DVD's for me for Christmas and I spent 5 wonderful hours watching on my iPad last evening. Great stuff altogether. I loved the simplicity and humour of the sessions. I'll be watching again and again. If you ever make it over to this side of the pond, there are a million Camera Clubs (48 actually) in Ireland that would be only too delighted to take advantage of a visit from you. Have a Happy and Productive 2012. Thanks.

December 26, 2011 4:04 PM  
Blogger Mike Gaskin said...

Not sure this is on subject completly or not. Read a comment about DSLRS and how it opened things up for a lot of people. About 20 years ago while managing a pro lab in Austin Texas was invited to an ASMP digital demonstration. They had a 4x5 set up with some lights and a table top set up. Back in the day photogs had to buy as much of a "chrome" film stock as they could afford, as slight color balance variances between emulsion batches would stand out like a sore thumb on a catalouge shoot (read white table cloths and linens in food shoots. The company (Dicomed if memory serves) showed the auto white balance function for the back and computer pack which was 50 grand at the time! There was another supplier there also that had some lights set up and a "video camera looking deal that wasnt" that shot still, and printed them on the spot with some kind of a wet process (came it packs) that I had never seen before or since. You sat down, they shot a head shot of you and printed an 8x10 in about two minutes. As an old time analog guy you can bet it grabbed my attention. The premier shooter in Autin (now passed in a hang gliding accident of all things) upon seeing the table top set up, shot, presented on screen on a laptop, commented "now all we pros will have is lighting". He wasnt too far from wrong.
When people ask me what the difference between a "pro" and non is I always respond with "a pro will 99% to the time come back with comercially viable images in almost any sittuation you put him or her in. I have seen some of the finest images of my life from non pros, but they only get them once in a while. Stick them in a helicopter or bad light sittuation shooting rodeo or any of the many things pros run into and their perecentage of "great" shots drop dramatically comared to the pro".
Anyway, enjoy your blog alot, learn alot too. Keep em' coming Mike Gaskin

December 26, 2011 4:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent stuff all year (all of them, actually). I was thinking that camaraderie should be spelled cameraderie around your blog! Anyway, I read faithfully and run through your lighting 101, 102 quite often. Thanks and give 'er in 2012.
Eric

December 27, 2011 12:25 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Hey Dave! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks once again for all the fun and frolic, AND for all the amazing info you gift us with.
It's another year along in my journey and I couldn't have asked for better guide. I'm looking forward to another year of your photographic wisdom and treasure trove of gems! You are Da Man!!!

Best wishes to you and your family in the new year!

December 27, 2011 7:53 AM  
Blogger imhkki said...

happy new year

December 30, 2011 8:51 AM  
Blogger BdgBill said...

David, thanks for another year of all the great stuff you put out for free. For a while I thought that I was getting bored with photography but when I found your site I realized I was just bored with reading about cameras and software. Your articles about technique were just what I needed to get excited about shooting again.

I hope to attend one of your live events in 2012.

December 30, 2011 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home